Some new machines arrived in the lab including a Dell XPS 8930 Desktop with Dell UltraSharp U2518D monitor.
Here is how I configured the machine:
- /etc/network/interfaces should be
# interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8) auto lo iface lo inet loopback # The primary network interface auto enp4s0 iface enp4s0 inet dhcp
- /etc/hosts should be
127.0.1.1 trout.staff.sydney.edu.au trout
- The NFS entry in /etc/fstab
10.65.xx.yy:/volume1/homes /nfs/homes nfs vers=4.1,defaults 0 0
did not mount upon booting. I think this is because the order was wrong. This can be fixed by adding a file containing
#!/bin/sh mount -a
Monitor would never wake up after machine screen saver activated. This was because of the default open source Ubuntu Nouveau drivers. To fix, installing the NVIDIA drivers: https://medium.com/@zhanwenchen/install-cuda-10-1-and-cudnn-7-5-0-for-pytorch-on-ubuntu-18-04-lts-9b6124c44cc.
5/2/2020 - after an update the external monitor stopped working. I followed https://www.linuxbabe.com/ubuntu/install-nvidia-driver-ubuntu-18-04 and installed nvidia-driver-440 to fix.
For reference, the configuration of the machine is:
- XPS 8930 Base
- 9th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 9700 (8-Core, 12MB Cache, up to 4.7GHz with Intel(R) Turbo Boost Technology)
- XPS 8930, Mainstream Chassis (460W)
- 16GB, 2x8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz
- M.2 512GB PCIe x4 SSD + 2TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
- Tray load DVD Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD)
- NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 2060 6GB GDDR6
- Killer 1535 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.1
- Dell USB Mouse
- Dell Wired Keyboard KB216 Black (English)